Thursday, December 16, 2010

Writing Portfolio: Vignettes

One of my biggest struggles as a teacher is finding time for students to create a well thought-out writing portfolio at the end of the trimester as well as finding time to grade and conference. This year I have adapted the idea of a portfolio and a vignette together.


Language Arts 9 Trimester Test

Create a writing portfolio blog demonstrating your learning.
1) Create New Post
2) Title it the benchmark or prompt and paste your example within the post.
3) Your paragraph explanation should be posted in a comment box.

1. Select a snippet from any of your writing that demonstrates the following benchmarks AND write a paragraph stating how this does so (what is it-how does it demonstrate-why did you choose this).
1) Use strategies for brainstorming
2) Use strategies for drafting
3) Use strategies for revising
4) Use strategies for editing
5) Write with strong organization and coherence.
6) Use a variety of techniques effectively to provide supportive detail in writing (snapshot, similes/metaphors, explosions, dialogue, etc.)…give an example of three different techniques
7) Demonstrate correct grammar and sentence structure.
8) Write compositions with a variety of sentence structures and lengths (simple, compound, complex, compound-complex)

Example:

Uses strategies for revising: (title of post)

(paste into post)
Original: I struggled and strained my way across the lot toward the cattle trough carrying a pail full of silage, which was half my size, heavier than I, and skimming the ground picking up manure.

Revised: I was my dad’s right-hand “man.” I did everything with him from feeding the cattle to helping during calving season to riding in the tractor in the fields. My mom left early in the morning to work, and my brother was always running around doing anything he could that had nothing to do with farm work. As my brother grew up and headed off to school, my dad and I spent even more time together. Not only did I help him with all his chores but I also was his entertainer.

Explanation: (paste as comment)

I had a peer review my draft with praises and questions. The reviser asked what kind of relationship I had with my father. Since the memoir focuses on an aspect of my relationship with him, I decided to add a whole new paragraph to really allow the reader into my life. I think this enhanced my piece because the background of my memoir is much more clear and detailed. The reader understands just how meaningful my scene is to because they now know the tight-knit relationship I have with my father.

2. Choose your best piece of writing this trimester. Write a one-pager reflecting on the following questions. Feel free to address these in any order necessary. Focus on the ones that directly pertain to you and touch on others. This one-pager represents your experience with this particular piece.

“Best” Piece Reflection: (paste in post, not as comment): choose a snippet that captures the piece.

• Reflect upon your writing:
o What were your goals for this piece?
o How did you begin this piece of writing?
o How did you end this piece of writing?
o What problems did you encounter?
o How did you solve them?
o Why did you choose this as your best piece?

Comment on other students reflections.

3. Take a look at ALL your writing completed this trimester and write a one-pager reflecting on the following questions. Feel free to address these in any order necessary. Focus on the ones that directly pertain to you and touch on others. This one-pager represents your experience over the entire trimester.

Portfolio Reflection (paste in post, not as comment)

• Reflect upon your portfolio:
o What are my strengths as a writer?
o What are your weaknesses as a writer?
o Which is your best work—and why?
o Which is my worst work—and why?
o How did you go about writing?
o What writing habits do you have?
o What strategies do you like to use?
o What problems did you encounter when you write?
o What are your goals for writing in the future?

Comment on other students’ reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment